2016 One Room Challenge: Craigslist Kitchen Makeover | Redo It Yourself Inspirations : 2016 One Room Challenge: Craigslist Kitchen Makeover

Thursday, April 7, 2016

2016 One Room Challenge: Craigslist Kitchen Makeover

Here we go.....let the One Room Challenge™ begin!
For those of you who are not familiar with the One Room Challenge, it is the design inspiring and creating event lead by the incredibly talented Linda, at Calling It Home. The ORC is filled with weekly blog updates while sharing design inspirations to complete a room in just 6 weeks. Not only is this a great motivation to stay on schedule, but a support system while seeing everyone's projects and progress. Who needs a big boost of motivation? I sure do!

Let me introduce you to


The "Before" Part One

This was the pine kitchen portion of  our fixer upper home during move in week. It was a disaster! 

Everything had to go. 
It was a total gut job. 
I'll share more of that next week. 



After a complete clean out, including flooring and subfloor, I went shopping on Craigslist. If you don't think it's possible... I did it!

The "Before" Part Two

After buying a home, finances are strict. So I decided to be creative. Everything but the paint, tile, and countertops were from thrift shopping on the internet. Cabinets of cherry, pine, and oak along with all white appliances were tossed into the "like new" outdated kitchen. Now that's a crazy title. That's why I prefer to call it my "Craigslist Kitchen".

43 very looooong days later, the water was running in the like new dishwasher, like new refrigerator and like new sink. Again, I'll share more of that next time.


Now that I have this updated but outdated kitchen, I desperately needed it bright, streamlined, and of course, a whole new style without breaking the budget. The plan is to change it from "Mixed French Country" to more of a "Modern Farm Style".  It's defines my style. It will make the cooking area "a happy place"!!!. (Yes, I totally said that in a Bob Ross voice!) 

The Plan:
Paint walls
Paint wainscotting
Paint cabinets
Make a coffee/tea/hot chocolate center
Change the layout of the island and eat-in area
Remove the lighted hanging pots and pans rack
Add new lighting to replace the rack
Change out decor and overall style
Eliminate clutter and organize

Well! Now that I've got my mind in gear, I best get my big kick in the pants going too! 

Wish me luck and while you're at it, please be prepared to be inspired with Linda leading our way!

Calling it Home

One Room Challenge™ Featured Designers, Spring 2016






...and for those of us that are guest participants you can follow us here at 



 I'm off to buy paint but will be back next week with more!

Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment